3.10.2014

I need everyone to do me a favor...

Thank you everyone for your support. I am blown away by all the messages and shares this thing has got. I just wanted to put out my feelings and I never expected more than a select few to actually read it.

I hope that what everyone takes from this is that no matter how you choose to feed your child, it is your choice. No matter how it works out in the end is okay. You might have been a die hard breast feeder in your plans but the baby and your body might have not agreed. But that is okay. I have heard so many times, "I only made it x weeks" but what they should be saying is, "I MADE IT X WEEKS!" or even if you chose to only formula feed, it is okay! We all are just trying to do the best we can with what we have. The only thing these kids have to have is love. We have to teach them love. We have to show them love. It kills me that everyone is so hateful and judgmental about everything.

I also wish more than anything that people's views on breast feeding would change. I am so sad that people actually believe that a toilet stall is the best place to pump or feed their baby. I'm sad that more people aren't standing up for these mothers when they see these things happening. I'm sad that people are judging other moms for breast feeding. I'm sad that a mother breast feeding on a plane is offensive but half naked celebrities are blasted on television during primetime for all of our kids to see. These moms don't want you to see their breasts either. Sometimes their kids won't be covered. Anna wouldn't eat under a cover so I had to bunch up a small blanket and walk around the house practicing nursing her where she looked like she was just sleeping just because I was afraid someone would be offended. Thing about that for a second. I was afraid someone would be offended by me feeding my child.

I need everyone to do me a favor. MEN LISTEN UP, TOO. The next time you see a nursing mother, smile at her or say something. A simple "good job, mama" will work. Don't be creepy (she probably doesn't want to talk) but show support. And the next time you see someone say, "the bathrooms are over there" or say something nasty, STAND UP FOR THEM. Stop being assholes people. No matter what YOU think is right, this is her choice. She is loving and nurturing her baby the only way she knows how and she doesn't need to be criticized.

Again, thank you for all of your support. Please continue to support mamas everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment